FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX), originally known as FDX Corporation, is a logistics services company, based in the United States with headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee. The name "FedEx" is a syllabic abbreviation of the name of the company's original air division, Federal Express, which was used from 1973 until 2000.
On October 22, 2008, the Internal Revenue Service withdrew its tentative assessment of tax and penalties for the 2002 calendar year ($319 million plus interest) against FedEx Ground Package System, Inc. (“FedEx Ground”) relating to the classification of FedEx Ground’s owner-operators for federal employment tax purposes.
In June 2009, FedEx began a campaign against UPS and the Teamsters union, accusing its competitor of receiving a bailout in an advertising campaign called "brown bailout". FedEx claims that signing the Federal Aviation Administration re-authorization bill, which would let some of its workers unionize more easily (and, according to the Memphis-based company, "could expose its customers at any time to local work stoppages that interrupt the flow of their time-sensitive, high-value shipments”), is equivalent to giving UPS a 'bailout'. Independent observers have heavily criticized FedEx's wording, claiming that it was "an abuse of the term". FedEx staff are regulated under the Railway Labor Act.
FEDEX OPERATING COMPANIES SCAC CODES FOR FEDEX:
The Standard Carrier Alpha Code (SCAC) is a unique code used to identify transportation companies. It is typically two to four alphabetic letters long. It was developed by the National Motor Freight Traffic Association in the 1960s to help the transportation industry for computerizing data and records.
- FedEx Express (Orange "Ex"): The original overnight courier services, providing next day air service within the United States and time-definite international service. FedEx Express operates the second largest civil aircraft fleet in the world (after Delta Air Lines) and the largest fleet of wide bodied civil aircraft; it also carries more freight than any other airline.
- FedEx Ground (Green "Ex"): Guaranteed day-definite delivery within Canada and the United States at a cost savings as compared to time-definite FedEx Express. Uses a large fleet of trucks which are owned by the independent owner/operators and drivers are independent contractors who control individual delivery routes and territories. Formerly Roadway Package System (RPS).
- FedEx Freight (Red "Ex"): Less than truckload (LTL) and other freight services. The second largest LTL carrier in the United States, with $4.5 billion in revenue for 2008.
- FedEx Trade Networks (Yellow "Ex"): Provides services relating to customs, insurance, and transportation advice. Formerly C.J. Tower & Sons, then Tower Group International.
- FedEx Supply Chain Services (Grey "Ex"): Provides logistics services including Critical Inventory Logistics, Transportation Management Services, Fulfillment Services, etc. Formerly Roadway Logistics System, then Caliber Logistics.
- FedEx Corporate Services (Grey "Ex"): Provides global marketing, planning and information technology (IT) services for the other FedEx operating companies.
- FedEx TechConnect: Offering a customer service toll-free telephone line for customer questions.
- FedEx Office (formerly FedEx Kinko's) (Blue "Ex"): The retail arm of the corporation, offers copying and digital printing, professional finishing, document creation, Internet access, computer rentals, signs and graphics, direct mail, Web-based printing, and FedEx shipping.
- Promotion From Within Policy - allows employees to be considered first for open positions.
- Open Door Procedures - allows employee input to be received and considered by management.
- Guaranteed Fair Treatment - assures any employee grievance is dealt with fairly and objectively.
- Survey - Feedback - Action - gives an opportunity for employees to offer feedback on the effectiveness of management.
- G.O.L.D. (Growth, Opportunity, Leadership & Development) Program - provides an in-house management development program.
- Administrative Support
- Aircraft Maintenance
- Custom Agent
- Customer Experience
- Finance and Accounting
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Property & Real Estate
- Ramp Operations
- Station Operations
- Vehicle and Equipment Maintenance